Hi there, welcome to Community Life Church Cherrybrook. Serving the church is our Senior Pastor Andy Yule, Youth And Young Adults Pastor Rachel Li, Children's worker Lucia Paix and Office administrator Annalie Holton. If you'd like to know a little more about our team please read below.
"Following in the footsteps of Jesus by WELCOMING, HEALING and PROCLAIMING."
WORD OF GOD AS OUR FOUNDATION FOR TRUTH:
• We believe the Word of God is active and alive to bring transformation;
• We believe the Word of God is foundational to the teaching and practice of our church;
• We believe the Word of God is our authority through the person of Jesus and through Scripture.
OPEN TO THE SPIRIT:
• We give the Holy Spirit space to guide/lead/empower us as we meet so we can encounter and hear God;
• We position ourselves with expectancy for the breakthrough and manifestation of the presence and release of the gifts of the Spirit so we see healing, prophecy and other transformations;
• We cultivate an atmosphere of joyful worship.
• We believe that God's house is a house of prayer;
• We believe that prayer undergirds all the activities in our church;
• We believe that we are more effective and powerful if we pray than if we did not -so we pray!
• We are an equipped and activated church as we each serve through our gifts and build up the Body of Christ for holiness;
• We teach and receive from the word of God for transformation and maturity to be a light wherever we work and serve;
• We are a people of engagement not observation.
• We deeply love one another because the Father loved us first;
• We believe in an atmosphere of encouragement as we meet to affirm in one another the good that God has deposited in each of us;
• We serve one another joyfully, with sacrifice, generosity and compassion;
• We have transparency, honesty and authenticity to cultivate a safe place to share with one another.
• We are committed to passionately connect with God's heart for mission so that we share the light placed in us with our community and world;
• We engage with and serve our community through word and deed beyond the 'four walls' of the church with the love of Jesus;
• We believe in serving the weak and broken as Jesus did in our world.
A CHURCH FOR EVERYONE:
• We are cross generational in that we value and invest in every generation as we build the kingdom of God together;
• We are cross cultural as we break down the barriers that separate us culturally because the kingdom of God welcomes and delights in all cultures;
• We are full of grace that goes beyond 'tolerance' towards all people who are different to 'us'.
• We believe in being a community of God's people who are willing to take risks and live 'out of the box' for God's kingdom;
• We don't fear being a church that risks trying new things because we believe that stepping out of our comfort zone for God is a part of being a follower of Jesus;
• We cultivate a climate of expectancy for the presence and activity of God.
Our foundational beliefs are in accordance with the Baptist Union of NSW & ACT. The essentials are:
God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three personalities, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These are co-equal and are one God.
Genesis 1: 26, 27, 3: 22; Psalm 90: 2; Matthew 28: 19; 1 Peter 1: 2; 2 Corinthians 13: 14
ABOUT JESUS CHRIST
Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He rose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven's glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Matthew 1: 22, 23; Isaiah 9: 6; John 1: 1-5, 14: 10-31; Hebrews 4: 14, 15; 1 Corinthians 15: 3, 4; Romans 1: 3, 4; Acts 1: 9-11; 1 Timothy 6:14; Titus 2:13, 3: 4-7
ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT
The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation and seeks to fill and refill every Christian with power for living. He gives understanding of spiritual truth and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer at least one spiritual gift when they are saved. As Christians we seek to live under His control daily. We value and embrace fully the work of the Holy Spirit in our midst, following his people and empowering us for mission and ministry.
2 Corinthians 3: 17; John 16: 7-15, 14: 16; Acts 1: 8; 1 Corinthians 2: 12, 3: 16; Ephesians 1: 13; Galatians 5: 25; Ephesians 5: 18
ABOUT THE BIBLE
The Bible is God's Word to us. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian believers and living. Because it is inspired by God it is the truth without any mixture or error.
2 Timothy 3: 16; 2 Peter 1: 20, 21; 2 Timothy 1: 13; Psalm 119: 105, 160; 12: 6; Proverbs 30: 5
ABOUT HUMAN BEINGS
People are made in the spiritual image of God to be like Him in character. People are the supreme object of God's creation. Although every person has tremendous potential for good all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called 'sin'. This attitude separates people from God and causes many problems in life.
Genesis 1: 27; Psalm 8: 3-6; Isaiah 53: 6a; Romans 3: 23; Isaiah 59: 1, 2
Salvation is God's free gift to us but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God's offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin's penalty. When we turn from our self-ruled life and turn to Jesus in faith we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
Romans 6: 23; Ephesians 2: 8, 9; John 14: 6, 1:12; Titus 3: 5; Galatians 3: 26; Romans 5: 1
ABOUT ETERNAL SECURITY
People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is hell. To be eternally in unison with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence.
John 3: 16; 1 John 2: 25, 5:11-13; Romans 6: 23; Revelation 20: 15; Matthew 18: 8, 25: 1-13